Friday, September 3, 2010

Hotter 'n Hell

I have found a new hobby. No, it is not crafty, nor is it really fun for most people (especially those with sensitive backsides).

Biking. Not mountain biking. Road biking.

I have no idea why it occurred to me that I should pick up a new sport, but I figured "Hey, it's riding a bike! How hard could it be?!" Note to self: if you have been on mountain bikes your whole life, you are in for a rude awakening if you choose to start riding a road bike...that comes from experience, by the way.

About four weeks before one of the nation's oldest and largest cycling events, the Hotter 'n Hell, took place in my home town, I decided to take up cycling. I borrowed a Gran Turismo road bike from one of my mom's friends. Now, these days cyclists use lightweight (less than 10 lbs) bikes made from carbon fiber or titanium, but not my little gem. The copper colored Gran Turismo had a mild-steel frame and weighed in at about 43 lbs. (Talk about a resistance workout!)

For those four weeks leading up to the race, I rode about 18-20 miles during week days and did my long distance rides on the weekends. My weekend rides ended up totaling 34 miles, 38 miles, and 45 miles. I was determined to be in great shape for the Hotter 'n Hell 100 kilometer race. I felt comfortable during my rides, especially when the more experienced riders complimented my form, pace, and stamina. I started loving the bike. For someone who has always been a runner, biking was just what I needed to give my body (mainly my joints) a break from running numerous miles on an asphalt surface. Between the realization that I was actually good and the ease on my joints, I guess you could say I was officially hooked after about two weeks.


When race day came on August 28th, I felt very confidant and prepared. I was not "in it to win it" as some would say, but I was in it to do the best that I could, and set a bar for my future races.

I ended up having no problems along the course. No flats, no fatigue, no complaints...okay, so I might have been frustrated with the wind for a few miles towards the end...but overall, it was a great ride. My mom and I finished the 100 kilometer race in just under 4 hours. Take the rest stops, slow start, and wind into effect and you've got yourself a very proud first-timer!

I plan on continuing this new passion in hopes that eventually I can do a few triathlons next season!

Thanks mom, for riding every mile by my side!
(I know you could have whooped me if you wanted to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment