Monday, July 26, 2010

The Red Round House

As I got to thinking about what my summer was missing, it occurred to me that I had not gone to the lake. Yes, swimming pools are great, but there's just something about going to the lake that completes summer time in Texas. As I was brainstorming where to get my lake "fix", I remembered that my grandma had an old run-down lake house that she and my aunt were remodeling to eventually sell.

My grandparents lived at Lake Nocona when I was very young, and I remember visiting them every summer. For hours, we would play hide-n-seek, try to catch minnows, ride in the paddle boat, and learn how to water ski. There was never a dull moment. Grandpa and grandma moved to Wichita Falls when I was in the second grade, so we never had a reason to go out to Lake Nocona after that.

Needless to say, when we decided to go back for the first time in about fifteen years, I was very excited to see how things had changed. Cliff, Jake, and I piled into the truck and headed to Nocona, Texas. I would be lying through my teeth if I said I recognized everything, because well...NOTHING looked the same. My grandparents' old house had been remodeled and the yard was a far cry from grandpa's high standards. So we drove on past to find the old Round House that was given to my grandma.

I had only seen the "before" pictures (in which the cabin was in VERY BAD shape), so I didn't set my hopes too high. But when we arrived at the "Red Round House" I was in awe. It was adorable! I had never been in a house that was round, so the pie-shaped rooms were a real surprise. It was located in a quiet cove just off the lake...in which Jake was more than happy to test out for us. The wood-burning fireplace in the middle of the house was perfect for a winter lake visit, the large windows in the back made for a great view of the cove, and the restored hardwood floors were beautiful.

Although the cabin was great, our trip to the lake ended up being more of an expedition through Lake Nocona properties. The cove where the cabin was located wasn't exactly "swimmable", so we drove around to find a public beach...but we were unsuccessful. Instead, we got yelled at by a woman in a golfcart for driving on her property...which was actually just a trailer park with OU flags (yuck) posted everywhere.

So to wrap up this post...we might have failed in our quest for a relaxing time at the lake...but I did enjoy remembering all the great times my cousins and I had as young guns roaming around grandma and grandpa's yard in our birthday suits.

For the cabin listing, click here: http://www.regencyonerealtors.com/viewproperty/1_1_47_59_114841/

2 comments:

  1. My grandfather built that house. I remember staying there when I was very young. Over 30 years ago! I stumbled upon it for sale a few years ago. It was very cool to see it again and nicely remodeled. Was curious about it and stumbled upon this site. I hope someone is enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete